Most faculty and graduate student profiles on department sites are populated from data imported from Scholars@Duke, which in turn receives most of its data from various systems of record (dFac, Duke@Work, Duke Elements, etc.). Some data, such as Overview, Profile Picture, and Web Links are managed directly in Scholars@Duke. The department profiles for individuals who do not have a profile in Scholars@Duke, such as most staff, are populated from data imported from the Trinity Directory Tool, which also receives much of its data from other systems of record.
To make changes to a member profile, you must first determine the “source” of the data, then make all appropriate changes at that source.
Changes made to personal data in a system of record can take up to 48 hours before they appear on a member's profile on a department site
The change can take up to 24 hours before being present in Scholars@Duke or the Trinity Directory Tool, then up to 24 hours before being imported from Scholars@Duke or Trinity Directory Tool to the department site. Changes made directly within Scholars@Duke or the Trinity Directory Tool, such as an updated Overview or Profile Picture, can take up to 24 hours before being imported to the respective department profile page.
System of record sources
- Name: For faculty, this data is pulled from dFac (Professional Name); contact the departmental dFac user if this needs to be updated. For non-faculty, this can be updated in the Account Self-Service website.
- Title: For faculty, this data is pulled from dFac (Appointment Title); contact the departmental dFac user if this needs to be updated. Changes may need approval by the Dean's office. For non-faculty who do not have a Scholars@Duke profile, the Working Title can be updated in the Trinity Directory Tool by the department's power user for that system.
- Location (Office address, Mailing address): These can be edited via Duke@Work. Go to Duke@Work, select the "MyInfo" tab and choose "MyProfile" then "Maintain your Addresses & Phone Numbers".
- Email: The email shown is your 'Preferred email address' in the Duke Directory. To change this, go to the Account Self-Service website and expand the 'Manage Directory Listings' section. Click 'Change your full name alias' to create an alias of your firstname.lastname@example.org email. To change your preferred email, click 'Change your preferred email address' and select your preferred address.
- Links: For members imported from Scholars@Duke, a single link can be shown under an individual's name, title, and email which is pulled from the 'Web Links' section of their Scholars@Duke profile. Note that the department site will only display the first item in this list.
- Adding a downloadable CV: Upload your CV file, preferably in PDF form, to a folder in your personal Box.com account, and share it by clicking the three dots icon and selecting " Share > Get Shared Link," and selecting the option "People With The Link." Copy this link and go to your Scholars@Duke profile, where you can add it to your list of links. We suggest making the description text "Download CV," or something along those lines. After a subsequent website feed import from Scholars within 48 hours, the link to your CV will show up on your profile.
- Overview: For members imported from Scholars@Duke, this statement is pulled from the 'Overview' of their Scholars@Duke profile. This is only used for search indexing, and a portion of this is displayed on the search results page. For members without a Scholars@Duke profile, the Overview can be updated in the Trinity Directory Tool.
- Profile Picture: For members with a Scholars@Duke profile, this is pulled from the photo uploaded to their Scholars@Duke profile. For members without a Scholars@Duke profile, the Profile Picture can be updated in the Trinity Directory Tool.
Staff and Administrative Positions
Data that is not maintained in dFac and Scholars@Duke is added to the data stream by the Trinity Directory Tool. This tool allows you to manage group membership and information for staff or others who do not have Scholars@Duke profiles, any ad-hoc memberships (temporary affiliations, etc.) in your department's group, as well as the assignment of administrative positions such as Chair and Business Manager. The tool has extensive documentation for how to manage these aspects of your department's members, and additional information about system of record data sources as well.
Some data is managed directly on the department site as there is no external source for this data. To see what you can edit locally,
- Go to your People section, select a person, and click Edit
- The first tab on this page is called Local Data. Information within this tab can be changed locally. This includes things such as: Additional Data which is used to supplement the Scholar’s Overview; and Research Themes to identify a faculty member with a research area.
- Click Save after edits are made
Some sites use local categories in order to group department members in ways that might be unique to a particular department.
See Reorganizing your people section for more information.
Using the “Manage members” view
In order to faciliate management of this content, our Drupal websites include a view dedicated to imported members. This view is limited to site editors with permission to edit nodes of the Member - Imported content type, and can be accessed via the shortcuts menu by clicking the Manage members link. If this shortcut is not present, an editor can simply add '/admin/manage-members' to the site's web address in the address bar of the browser (e.g. https://example.duke.edu/admin/manage-members).
When editing a member profile, you will see two tabs: “Local Data” and “Imported Data”. You should only edit the fields on the “Local Data” tab. All data on the “Imported Data” tab is imported from external sources of record, such as Scholars@Duke. As such, any direct editing you do to these fields will be overwritten when the site updates the data from these sources.
This view provides an editor with:
- A last name search, and
- Filters for:
- Scholars@Duke Class,
- Scholars@Duke Category,
- Scholars@Duke category override,
- Local category,
- Research Area, and
- Whether or not the content is published
The tabular display shows:
- Image thumbnail
- Name and Primary Title
- Scholars@Duke Class
- Scholars@Duke Category
- Scholars@Duke Category Override
- Local Category
- Research Areas
- Whether a person has a Scholars@Duke Profile URL
- A link to edit the member's node