News articles are created in one of two ways: Editors can create news articles using the News article - Local content type, and news can be imported from the main Trinity College of Arts & Sciences (TCA&S) website. If your site has a “News” section, it may be configured to import news articles from Duke Today via the main TCA&S website (trinity.duke.edu). If you are unsure whether or not your site is importing news articles, please contact Trinity Web Support.
Please see Managing news for more information on news sources.
Creating a local news item
- Select Content ⇒ Add Content ⇒ News article - Local from the admin menu
- Fill in the information in the following fields: Headline (required field), By Line (if appropriate), and Published Date.
- Scroll down and see if your site uses Categories or Research Areas. If so, click the appropriate tags to categorize your news item (you may select more than one).
- If possible, you should also upload a photo for your news item so it will display on your News page, and possibly on your front page featured news listing, if you site is set up for that display.
- Click Select Image(s) under Image to open the image media library.
- You can either choose a previously uploaded image under the Library tab, or click the Add New Image tab to upload a new image. Please see Working with images for complete instructions.
- The selected image will always show on the news listings (such as on the News page), but you can opt to hide the image when the article is viewed in full by selecting Hide in the Hide Image dropdown.
- You can also add an Image Caption which will display under the image when your article is viewed in full.
- Enter the main copy of the article in the the Body field. Please see Working with the text editor for full instructions.
- The External Article field provides a way to override the link used when a news item is displayed in a listing, such as on your front or News page. For example, if you wanted to link to a New York Times article, you can enter the URL in this field, and the news listing will link directly to the external article instead of to a full view of your article node. You would use this field in lieu of entering the article copy in the Body field.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page
Your News item will now appear where your other News appears on your website — such as your “News” menu link, Latest News block on Home Page, and possibly locations within the site where News (based on the “tags”) appears.